Beacon Lesson Plan Library
Jill David et al
DescriptionStudents develop a schedule of fitness activities to meet the needs of a diverse group of people with a wide range of ages, physical abilities, and fitness levels.
ObjectivesDemonstrates the ability to cooperatively work in various settings, across diverse populations.
The student demonstrates competency or proficiency in self-selected activities.
The student knows how to maintain appropriate levels of cardiovascular fitness, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition necessary for a healthy lifestyle.
The student assumes an active leader role, a supportive follower role, and a passive follower role as appropriate.
The student knows how to modify games and activities to allow for participation of students with special needs (e.g., physical disabilities).
-Pens or pencils
-Equipment for activities selected
-Schedule of Fitness Activities Self and Teacher Observation Checklist (See associate file)
PreparationsDuplicate student copies of the Schedule of Fitness Activities Self and Teacher Observation Checklist.
You are the cruise director for a major cruise line. You are responsible for scheduling a wide variety of activities for all of the passengers on each cruise. Develop a schedule of fitness activities that will meet the needs of a diverse group of passengers with a wide range of ages and physical abilities and fitness levels. The schedule of activities will be submitted to the scheduling committee.
1. Divide the class into groups of four. Each group will devise a schedule of fitness activities for the cruise ship passengers. Activities selected should meet the needs of a wide range of physical abilities. Groups list their activities on paper and send a representative to the scheduling committee.
2. After examining the ideas submitted by each group, the scheduling committee will construct the master activity schedule. The schedule will be posted so the passengers can select the activities in which they plan to participate.
3. Activity stations will be set up around the gym. An instructional manager will be assigned to each station to explain and lead the activities.
4. Passengers select an activity and go to the appropriate station. The instructional manager will lead participants in stretching and then in completing the activity. After a specified period of time (e.g.,15 minutes), a signal will be given and passengers move to the next self-selected activity.
5. Student and teacher use the Schedule of Fitness Activities Self and Teacher Observation Checklist to assess proficiency or competency in the student-selected activities.
AssessmentsStudents and teacher complete the Schedule of Fitness Activities Self and Teacher Observation Checklist (see associated file).
Attached FilesThis file is the Schedule of Fitness Activities. File Extension: pdf
Return to the Beacon Lesson Plan Library.