Beacon Lesson Plan Library
How Body Systems Interact
DescriptionStudents demonstrate learned knowledge that the human body is made up of different systems whose functions are related.
ObjectivesThe student understands the functions of various body systems.
-Butcher block paper
-Software about systems of the Human body.
-One copy of THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS EXPLORES THE HUMAN BODY by Joanna Cole
-Science textbooks (District and School’s adoption)
Preparations1. Obtain the book, THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS EXPLORES THE HUMAN BODY by Joanna Cole.
2. Make sure that science books are available for each student.
3.Provide the butcher paper and markers.
4. Provide students with computers with Internet access.
Procedures1. Read to the students the book THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS EXPLORES THE HUMAN BODY by Joanna Cole or some other appropriate book. Allow the students to recall information stated in the book. The students may take notes during the reading of the story.
2. Using any science textbook the students locate a picture of the human body and discuss in cooperative groups the different body systems found and their jobs. The students will take notes on their observations.
3. Allow the students to use the multimedia computer to locate any information on the Internet on the human body systems. Then students are to write at least five sentences explaining one of the systems of the body on paper.
4. Students (in pairs) trace their bodies on butcher block paper and put in at least five of the body systems in the appropriate areas of the body.
5. Students will show their drawings and discuss the body systems named.
Assessments1.Observe the students’ drawings and the labeling of their bodies.
2.Students help each other trace the body outlines on paper.
3.Students must label at least five body systems.
4.Students will write one correct sentence for each body system explaining its function to show mastery.
Return to the Beacon Lesson Plan Library.