Beacon Lesson Plan Library
Big, Bigger, Biggest
DescriptionStudents demonstrate keyboarding skills to illustrate big, bigger, biggest and small, smaller, smallest in a transportation picture.
ObjectivesThe student uses basic computer skills for writing, such as basic word-processing techniques such as keying words, copying, cutting, and pasting; using e-mail; and accessing and using basic educational software for writing.
The student uses direct (measured) and indirect (not measured) comparisons to order objects according to some measurable characteristics (length, weight).
-Kid Pix Studio software
Preparations1. Check functionality of computers.
2. Check software set up.
3. Preview software and become familiar with program features.
4. Set up printer for printing.
ProceduresThe instructions for this lesson are based on KID PIX STUDIO software.
Instruct students to:
1. Open KID PIX STUDIO by placing cursor on KID PIX icon and clicking.
2. Open the KID PIX picture frame by placing cursor in the center of frame and clicking.
3. Review the location of the STATUS BAR (across the top of the screen) and the TOOL BAR (on the left side of the screen).
4. Locate the handstamp near the bottom of the tool bar. Place cursor on the handstamp and click. The icon will turn blue when it has been selected.
5. Notice that the cursor has changed to a picture when it is placed on the document. To stamp the picture, simply click the mouse. NOTE: Once a stamp has been placed, it can not be moved or resized.
6. Stamp five to ten stamps before proceeding.
7. Direct attention to the stamps located at the bottom of the screen. The stamps can be changed by placing the cursor on a picture and clicking the mouse. A red square will appear around the newly selected picture. Allow children time to explore the stamps.
8. To change stamp set, direct students to the STATUS BAR at the top of the page. Find the word -GOODIES.- Place cursor on GOODIES and click. Drag down to -PICK A STAMP SET.- A selection of stamp sets will appear.
9. Identify the stamp sets by name for the children by scrolling down the list.
10. To choose a new stamp set, place the cursor anywhere on the row of pictures and click. A red rectangle will appear around the selected box. Instruct the students to choose the HOME set and OK.
11. Use the arrows at the bottom of the page--to the right of the pictures. Instruct the students to scroll through the pictures to find transportation pictures that would match with walking, taking the bus home, being picked up by a parent, or going to daycare.
12. Students will then arrange these pictures in order of small, smaller, and smallest and big, bigger, and biggest.
AssessmentsUsing the stamp set (NETS for Students 1.1), students choose a favorite form of transportation to demonstrate big, bigger, biggest and small, smaller, smallest. Using keyboarding skills, students will label each picture and type their name before printing.
Note: Circulate and formatively assess students as they use the technology tools. Provide assistance for students who are experiencing difficulty and monitor accordingly.
Return to the Beacon Lesson Plan Library.