Beacon Lesson Plan Library
Get In Shape: Exercise Daily
Stafford Nairn Jr.
DescriptionThe students begin the lesson with four exercises. Next, the students rest for a few minutes and then run one lap around the physical education field. After resting, students will complete the lesson with a four minute aerobic dance.
ObjectivesThe student knows how to maintain continuous aerobic activity for a specified period of time in order to improve endurance.
Materials-Cones to mark the field
Preparations1. Gather all the materials together for activity.
(cones, stopwatch, tape player, and tape)
2. Put cones around the physical education field so the students can run their lap.
3. Put tape into tape player.
4. If needed, review the story of THE TORTOISE AND THE HARE. (Aesop. THE TORTOISE AND THE HARE. Price Stern Sloan Publishing. 1977)
Procedures1.Ask students if they know how important exercise is for their overall health. Explain to the students how exercise helps their cardiovascular system function properly, which in turn improves their total health.
2. Tell students that they will run around the physical education field one time, do four exercises, and do an aerobic dance for four minutes to improve endurance.
3. Retell the story, THE TORTOISE AND THE HARE. (Aesop. THE TORTOISE AND THE HARE. Price Stern Sloan Publishing. 1977). Let the students know when they are running their lap around the field that it is not important how fast they run, but who runs the full lap without stopping. Allow students to run their lap.
4. Have students to get space between each other. Do the four exercises (jumping jacks, four hops, running in place, and squat thrust).
5. After the four exercises, the students will listen to the aerobic tape and practice the dance.
6. Allow students to cool down for a few minutes and ask students if they have any questions about the lesson.
Assessments1. The following criteria will be used to determine if students know how to maintain continuous aerobic activity for a specified period of time:
a. The Student will run around the physical education field at least one time without stopping.
b. The student will do at least four warm-up exercises continuously.
c. The student will do an aerobic dance for at least four minutes.
Return to the Beacon Lesson Plan Library.