Beacon Lesson Plan Library
Bay District Schools
Salad Factory allows students the ability to make their own salad and have the salad computer analyze it for the nutritional content.
The student knows the nutritional values of different foods.
-Computer with CD Rom
-Dole "Five-a-Day" CD (available free from the Dole company, use Weblink for info.)
-TV with computer hook up
1. Become familiar with "Five-a-Day" CD Rom.
2. Practice building salad so you can problem solve for the students.
3. Prepare presentation using the CD.
4. Decide what criteria you want the students to be assessed with.
1. Discuss with children what ingredients are needed to build a nutritional salad.
2. With the whole group, demonstrate "Salad Factory" by using computer and TV.
3. Allow students time to work with "Salad Factory" independently.
4. Allow students time to build salads and work on the challenge section before being assessed.
Students build a nutritional salad and explain how they did on the challenge section of the "Salad Factory" on the CD.
Circulate and formatively assess students as they use the technology tools. Provide assistance for students who are experiencing difficulty and monitor accordingly.
Web supplement for Salad FactoryDole